Accountant III- Accounts Payable
Job Category: Accounting/FinanceReq ID18959
Cedar Fair is seeking an Accountant III – Accounts Payable (AP) at our corporate office in Sandusky, OH. The Accountant III - AP will work in a fast paced and high volume environment leveraging automated software in reviewing and processing accounts payable invoices, check requests, expense reports, and purchasing card transactions for locations within the United States and Canada to ensure timely disbursements per vendor and company payment terms. The Accountant III - AP will rely upon their experience, acquired knowledge and discretion in the evaluation of capital versus expense analysis and multi-state and multi-jurisdictional sales and use tax application.
This full-time position will report to a Corporate Supervisor – AP and will be an integral component of the Shared Accounting Services environment.
Cedar Fair, a leader in the amusement park and hospitality business, offers challenging and rewarding career opportunities. Joining our Shared Accounting Services (SAS) team not only offers the unique opportunity to become part of a well-respected, financially stable entertainment industry leader with a 150-year heritage of creating lifelong memories, but also presents you with a chance to advance your career in the exciting consumer services sector! Cedar Fair offers competitive compensation packages that include bonus programs and comprehensive benefit plans with healthcare/dental/vision, paid vacation/sick time, paid holidays, 401k program, and complimentary season passes to create your own memories at all 15 parks owned and operated by Cedar Fair.
- Review accounts payable batches for proper general ledger coding and adherence to company policies.
- Review policy parameters to include exercising judgement on capital versus expense determinations.
- Provide an independent evaluation of sales and use tax assessments on vendor invoices.
- Continually research and stay current on knowledge of sales and use tax laws, rules, and regulations in all Cedar Fair jurisdictions to help Cedar Fair stay in compliance and to leverage any opportunities for cost savings. Disseminates information as needed to keep others informed.
- Works closely with the Cedar Fair Tax department and Park Directors-Financial Accounting to assure understanding of tax judgment is sound, reasonable, fair and in compliance.
- Assist in training of Accounts Payable staff on determination of sales and use tax.
- Prepare state and local use tax returns for each entity and submit to Manager in a timely fashion to ensure payments are made prior to deadlines.
- Reconcile select AP and related general ledger accounts monthly, specifically use tax liability.
- Complete quarter-end schedules as assigned.
- Prepare periodic accruals and provide to the Regional Financial Accounting teams.
- Set priorities, organize, and accomplish tasks within defined deadlines.
- Possess ability to calculate, post, and manage vendor account and financial records.
- Research issues for vendors and associates.
- Assume role as initial point of contact for any external use tax audits and assist in sales tax audits.
- Lead in hiring, training, supervision, and performance review process for seasonal and part-time AP staff.
- Assist in fielding questions from other CF departments regarding the correct application of sales/use tax.
- Adhere to and enforce all Cedar Fair policies and procedures, including safety, attendance and EEO policies, and will demonstrate commitment to Cedar Fair core values and Cedar Fair cornerstones.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance from an accredited four-year college or university and/or a minimum of 4-6 years combined accounting and/or industry related experience.
- Understanding of basic accounting practices.
- Experience with ERP software, Hyland, or other automated A/P systems.
- Multi-jurisdictional Sales and Use Tax knowledge is required.
- Solid critical thinking skills to ensure the company only pays the taxes due with a high level of accuracy and efficiency.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook (MicroSoft Suite) and pdf (Adobe Acrobat).
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills and able to work effectively independently and collaboratively in a team setting.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, analytical skills, and time management skills.
- Confidence to ask questions and get clarification, display a positive attitude, and have a strong work ethic.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with the capability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Dependable, honest and exhibits integrity.
- Ability to pass a background check, if 18 years of age or older, which may include, but is not limited to, credit, criminal, DMV, previous employment, education and personal references, per Company policy, unless prohibited by federal, state, or provincial law.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holiday periods to meet business needs.
- Must possess a valid Driver's License.