Ride Mechanic II
Job Category: Maintenance/TradesReq ID19339
Full-time | Year-round | Comprehensive Benefits Package
Starting at $30 / hour
As a Ride Mechanic at Valleyfair, you'll have the unique opportunity to take part in performing inspections, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, and annual rehabilitation of a variety of different amusement rides and attractions. Areas of responsibility include (but are not limited to) maintenance of gearboxes, chains, sprockets, hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, wire rope, hoists, brakes, pumps, and large bearings. Climbing and working safely at height is an essential part of this job. Solid knowledge of control processors, components, and communication networks used in real-time applications with 2-4 years mechanical maintenance experience required.
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly, annual, and other required inspections of amusement rides and related equipment as assigned, taking corrective actions as issues are identified. Inspections are visual as well as auditory.
- Trouble shoots a variety of mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and electrical systems and takes appropriate corrective actions.
- Properly follows all repair procedures and maintains accurate documentation of all repairs. Maintains orderly and accurate records of all required inspections and work performed and submits required paperwork to supervision in a timely manner.
- Communicates the status of assigned rides both verbally and in written format.
- Maintains all assigned equipment in a safe and ready condition according to all applicable codes, laws, rules, company policies, and best practices.
- Reads, understands, and applies information from manufacturer’s manuals for service, repair and or component replacement. Accurately reads blueprints (mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic). Completes proper documentation as required.
- Interacts with and communicates with various groups and individuals, such as the immediate supervisor, other Park managers and staff, co-workers, guests, vendors, contractors, inspectors, etc.
- Provides guest service according to Cedar Fair standards when serving the guest, including initiating guest interactions, answering questions, and giving directions.
- Maintains cleanliness and safety in assigned work area and performs all duties in compliance with Cedar Fair safety guidelines and requirements and reports all unsafe or unusual conditions to supervisor.
- Meets scheduling availability requirements, including nights, weekends and holiday periods to meet business needs.
- Meets Cedar Fair’s attendance requirements as outlined in Cedar Fair’s attendance policies.
- Adheres to Cedar Fair’s code of conduct including costuming and grooming standards as outlined in employees’ Guidelines and other park/division specific policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older and hold a valid drivers license
- Solid knowledge of control processors, components, and communication networks used in real-time industrial applications.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Related vocational training preferred.
- 2-4 years mechanical maintenance experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- Requires good written communication skills.
- Must have a mechanical background in industrial drives to include chains, belts, reduction boxes and gears with hands‑on experience.
- Ability to read blueprints and schematics to perform component troubleshooting. (Preferred)
- Use the power and hand tools common to the mechanical repair trade; detect malfunctions in operating machinery and make repairs.
- High level familiarity and experience working with shop tools.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be comfortable working on ladders and from heights.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holiday periods to meet business needs.